Running a business is stressful – even if you do what you love. 2020 was a particularly difficult year for most people and you may be battling to find your inspiration to keep working at your business.
One way to help you keep going when things are hard is to look to the wisdom of people who have succeeded before you. Motivational quotes give a glimpse into how well-known and successful people reached the places they are in now.
No matter what kind of business you are in, these motivational quotes will remind you that staying true to yourself, dreaming big, and pushing through difficulties will help you achieve your goals.
Quotes about Success
Being successful doesn’t happen overnight. Often, you will need to work hard and for a long time before you reach your goals. Even then, success can be elusive, and you might always be reaching for something new and setting yourself new ambitions.
These successful people know what it feels like to be striving for perfection. Have a look at what they say about the path to success. You could find your next life motto to help you succeed in business and in life.
- One of the differences between some successful and unsuccessful people is that one group is full of doers, while the other is full of wishers. — Edmond Mbiaka, author and self-help guru
- There should be no boundaries to human endeavour. We are all different. However bad life may seem, there is always something you can do, and succeed at. While there’s life, there is hope. — Stephen Hawking, renowned scientist and author of “A brief History of Time”
- I have stood on a mountain of no’s for one yes. — Barbara Elaine Smith, activist, fashion model, actress, and entrepreneur
- I learned a long time ago that there is something worse than missing the goal, and that’s not pulling the trigger. — Mia Hamm, first female international football star
- Success is stumbling from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm. — Winston Churchill, British Prime Minister during WWII
- Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection we can catch excellence. — Vince Lombardi, pro-football coach
Quotes about Staying True to Yourself
Most entrepreneurs and successful business people have a lot to say about being true to themselves. As a business person, you bring something unique to your field. If you try to copy someone else, you are setting yourself up for failure because you can never be someone other than yourself.
If you’re battling to follow your passion and stay true to your decisions, take some motivation from these visionaries. Know who you are and what you are about and don’t let anyone stop you from achieving all your goals.
- Follow your passion, stay true to yourself, never follow someone else’s path unless you’re in the woods and you’re lost and you see a path then by all means you should follow that. — Ellen Degeneres, comedian, actress, and television personality
- Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven’t found it yet, keep looking. Don’t settle. As with all matters of the heart, you’ll know when you find it. — Steve Jobs, entrepreneur and co-founder of Apple inc.
- There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and will be lost. ― Martha Graham, dancer, teacher, and choreographer
- I have learned over the years that when one’s mind is made up, this diminishes fear; knowing what must be done does away with fear. – Rosa Parks, civil rights activist
- Understand: you are one of a kind. Your character traits are a kind of chemical mix that will never be repeated in history. There are ideas unique to you, a specific rhythm and perspective that are your strengths, not your weaknesses. You must not be afraid of your uniqueness. — Robert Greene, author of “The 48 Laws of Power”
- You can be the ripest, juiciest peach in the world, and there’s still going to be somebody who hates peaches. — Dita Von Teese, dancer, model, businesswoman, and actress
Quotes about the Right Attitude
Positive mentality and the right mindset can change your perspective enough to help you conquer all kinds of new challenges. By putting the right attitude into your work, you are able to come up with creative solutions and push past boundaries and obstacles that have stopped others before you.
One of the main reasons businesses fail is because business owners give up or get bogged down in negative thoughts. If you feel yourself spiralling, remind yourself that the people you admire also faced hardship. The difference is that the people at the top are the ones who refused to give up and always adjusted their attitudes to see the silver lining.
- A positive attitude gives you power over your circumstances, instead of your circumstances having power over you. — Joyce Meyer, author and motivational speaker
- The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, not to worry about the future, or not to anticipate troubles, but to live in the present moment wisely and earnestly. — Buddha, teacher, philosopher, and spiritual leader
- How many times do I have to teach you: just because something works doesn’t mean it can’t be improved. — Shuri, Black Panther
- Do not stop thinking of life as an adventure. You have no security unless you can live bravely, excitingly, imaginatively; unless you can choose a challenge instead of competence. — Eleanor Roosevelt, politician, diplomat, and activist
- The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes. — William James, philosopher and psychologist
- When you have confidence, you can have a lot of fun. And when you have fun, you can do amazing things. — Joe Namath, pro-footballer
Quotes about Hard Work
When you went into business there is no doubt you knew it would be difficult. But some days hard work seems like impossible work.
Remind yourself that the harder the work is, the more satisfying the outcome is likely to be. These great people will help you to see hard work in a beneficial light.
- Don’t be afraid of hard work. Nothing worthwhile comes easily. Don’t let others discourage you or tell you that you can’t do it. In my day I was told women didn’t go into chemistry. I saw no reason why we couldn’t. — Gertrude B. Elion, Biochemist and Nobel Prize Winner
- Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. The slogan ‘Press On’ has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race. — Calvin Coolidge, politician and lawyer
- Get a good idea and stay with it. Dog it, and work at it until it’s done right. — Walt Disney, producer, showman, entrepreneur
- I hated every minute of training, but I said, ‘Don’t quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.’ — Muhammad Ali, champion heavyweight boxer
- Concentrate all your thoughts upon the work in hand. The sun’s rays do not burn until brought to a focus. — Alexander Graham Bell, inventor and scientist
- Take your time, play the long game, embrace the boring, the difficulties, the uncomfortable. This is how it will happen. — Maxime Lagacé, pro-ice hockey player
Quotes to Help you Stay Positive
If you’re having a particularly difficult day it might be hard to remember why you are doing what you’re doing. Finding inspiration is much harder when you feel like there is too much to do or like your tasks are too hard or monotonous.
These short quotes will help you find the motivation you need to stay positive and keep working towards your goals.
- I have always believed, and I still believe, that whatever good or bad fortune may come our way we can always give it meaning and transform it into something of value. — Hermann Hesse, author and Nobel Prize winner
- Life can be much broader once you discover one simple fact: Everything around you that you call life was made up by people that were no smarter than you. And you can change it, you can influence it… Once you learn that, you’ll never be the same again. — Steve Jobs
- Fear of what other people will think is the single most paralyzing dynamic in business and in life. The best moment of my life was the day I realized that I no longer give a damn what anybody thinks. That’s enormously liberating and freeing, and it’s the only way to live your life and do your business — Cindy Gallop, entrepreneur and businesswoman
- Courage is the most important of all the virtues because without courage, you can’t practice any other virtue consistently. ― Maya Angelou, author, actress, and activist
- It is often easier to make progress on mega-ambitious dreams. Since no one else is crazy enough to do it, you have little competition. — Larry Page, computer scientist and entrepreneur
- I’d rather regret the risks that didn’t work out than the chances I didn’t take at all. — Simone Biles, gymnastics Olympian winner