Britain’s best-performing finance directors and the next generation of financial talent feature in this year’s shortlist for the FDs” Excellence Awards 2013, held in association with ICAEW.
Created by Real Business, and supported by the CBI, the FDs” Excellence Awards recognise the most astute FDs from quoted and privately owned companies in the UK, as well as the service providers that support Britain’s finance community.
Following last month’s unveiling of the best-performing FTSE FDs, today’s announcement reveals the nominees for FD of the Future, Private Company FD of the Year, Young FD of the Year and Inspirational FD of the Year a new category recognising those that go beyond their brief in inspiring their team and contributing to community and social issues.
FDs at companies such as Heathrow Airport, Wilkinson and GRITIT are represented across the shortlist, along with six healthcare providers.
Those in the running for “FD of the Future” (supported by Ernst & Young) are:
- Ben Ash, Shire
- Marianne Holt, Ricardo
- Al-Karim Kachra, Country Court Care Group
- Jorge Lavin, Heathrow Airport Holdings
- Clare Needham, Wilkinson Hardware Stores
- Peter Swann, Liberata UK
The shortlist for Young FD of the Year (supported by Lloyds Banking Group) is:
- Matthew Benham, GRITIT
- Ruairidh Cameron, Medco Health Solutions
- Marie Cooper, President Engineering Group
- Pete Goodfellow, Japaninvest Group
- Craig Lovelace, General Healthcare Group
- Giles Webster, benenden health (formerly Benenden Healthcare Society)
The Private Company FD of the Year award will be contested by:
- Jeanette Barrowcliffe, Meridian Business Support
- Richard Gibson, Swiftkey
- Mark Harrison, City and Country Healthcare Group
- Arif Kamal, G L Hearn
- Andrew Preece, UKRD Group Limited
- David Stickland, LeasePlan
The shortlist for the Inspirational FD of the Year is:
- Stephen Bareham, Trinity Cheltenham Trust
- Divinia Knowles, Mind Candy
- Marcus Thorman, Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust
Michael Izza, ICAEW’s chief executive, said: ?Often overlooked yet integral to the success of British businesses, FDs are no longer just number crunchers. Their strategic input on management boards up and down the country is crucial to the UK’s economic success so it is imperative that we continue to celebrate sound financial management.
?Regardless of whether they win on the night, the shortlisted FDs should be congratulated for setting the standard for other aspiring finance directors.
Matthew Rock, co-founder of Real Business, added: Last year we saw an explosion of female financial talent scooping the top honours, so it’s great to see that women are again represented in this year’s shortlist particularly as there is growing belief that finance is one of the best routes for women to secure a boardroom position at UK companies.
Another trend is the preponderance of healthcare FDs this year, which is perhaps unsurprising given the growth, value and potential of this sector.
John Cridland, CBI director-general, said: ?Without sound financial management, business success is elusive. Talented financial directors can transform company fortunes and are instrumental when it comes to securing growth and creating new jobs. The CBI is pleased to support these awards.”
The FDs’ Excellence Awards winners will be announced on May 9, 2013 at the London Marriott Hotel, Grosvenor Square, along with the winners of the FTSE 100, FTSE 250 and Smaller Quoted categories.
The business banks, auditors, financial software suppliers, recruitment firms and non-audit advisers that are best supporting UK firms will also be unveiled, following the results of this year’s FDs” Satisfaction Survey, which was completed by 1,400 financial decision makers.
The awards are also supported by Drax, Ernst & Young, the Institute of Credie Management, the London Evening Standard, Lloyds Bank and MWB Business Exchange.
The shortlists for this year’s FTSE awards are:
FTSE 100 FD of the Year:
- David Robbie, FD of Rexam
- Tony Chanmugam, FD of BT Group
- Ian Griffiths, FD of ITV
- William Seeger, FD of GKN
- Sean Christie, FD of Croda
- William Waggott, CFO of TUI Travel
FTSE 250 FD of the Year:
- Andrew Andrea, FD of Marston’s
- Richard Amos, FD of Anite
- Paul Doughty, CFO of moneysupermarket.com
- Rick Medlock, CFO of Inmarsat
- Brian Taylorson, FD of Elementis
- Andrew King, CFO of Mondi
Small Quoted FD of the Year:
- Chris Smith, FD of API
- Graham Stevens, FD of Plexus Holdings
- Robert Brooksbank, FD of Carclo
- Tim Holden, FD of Pendragon
- Kevin Cameron, FD of Tangent Communications
- Richard Logan, FD of iomart Group