With a general election around the corner, today’s Budget is likely to count for a lot in voters” minds. We ll be looking at what it means for entrepreneurs across Britain live from 12.15pm.
Darling has promised to deliver a ‘sensible, workmanlike package of financial measures later today, so let’s hope it doesn’t stink of electioneering.
Pundits expect these key announcements:
- A new drive to stop tax evasion;
- Scrapping stamp duty on house sales of up to £250,000;
- Free basic bank account for anyone who needs one;
- Inheritance tax threshold frozen at £325,000;
- Five per cent rise in tax on wines and spirits;
- A green fund of £1bn to invest in nuclear power stations and wind farms; and
- A halt in the planned 3p rise in petrol duty.
But let’s not spoil the surprise. We ll be covering today’s Budget live on our website, drawing out Darling’s key announcements, and commenting on what they mean for Britain’s entrepreneurs.