The research identified that roughly a quarter of the learning effectiveness comes from pre-work, a quarter from the learning event itself and half through follow-up. This compares with the investment made by many companies that shows 10 per cent invested in pre-work, 85 per cent in the learning event itself and just 5 per cent in follow-up.
Clearly organisations need to get smarter in planning how they deliver learning. Responsibility for this lies not just with the L&D teams inside companies but also line management; many of whom focus on event driven initiatives and take less interest in follow up.
Teaching your staff to think
Another related research study shows a more fundamental shift in the nature of the learning required for the job.
Research from Robert Kelley at Mellon Carnegie showed that in 1986 typical knowledge workers were able to retain 76 per cent of the knowledge to do their job; by 2013 that figure has reduced to 5 per cent. The other 95 per cent of the knowledge comes from elsewhere; from Google and the Internet through to our own technology and personal network.
The approach to learning needs to change to one more focussed on teaching people how to think and one that is less focussed on knowledge itself.
Howard Gardener in his book, Five Minds of the Future, comes to similar conclusions and outlined a radical rethink of our educational systems; one that is less focussed on knowledge and more focused on critical thinking techniques.
We believe that what is required in our current age is “persistent learning on demand” – here more responsibility for learning is shifted to the learner. In order to thrive this has to exist in a learning culture with a “core” based on:
Accreditation: to measure reflective learning effectiveness
Mindset: a core belief that learning enhances personal and organisational effectiveness
Frameworks, strategies and maps: tools to help creative and critical thinking for learning
Product knowledge is key
At a recent event in Singapore, Narendra Kumar, Regional Head of Training for Allergan, shared some interesting insights from his 2013 MBA dissertation into the correlation of learning and sales performance as it applies to new product launches.
Pharmaceutical product development can cost more than $3bn dollars and he cited research that showed that unless the product was firmly established in its market within the first three quarters it would not succeed.
He also found that the least important factor to sales people for a new product launch was financial reward. The most important was their own product knowledge – how to sell it – and doctor education.
Kumar also learnt that new product training has to be scheduled at least 12 months in advance; quite radical when most new product training happens in the month prior to launch.
With research such as this pointing the way and being tested and validated in markets around the world, slowly but surely an increasing number of organisations are coming to realise that a sales performance and learning culture absolutely can co-exist.
Where training was often bottom of the agenda on the board review of new product launches, it’s now rising up that same agenda and being taken as seriously as marketing.
Dr Philip Squire is CEO of Consalia.
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.