Breaking new groud in bars, entertainment, meat sourcing, meet a group of true pioneers…
Elaine Clark, CEO, BAA Bar…
- Led growth of Baa Bar from single Liverpool site to chain of 11 innovative bars;
- Brought the north-west a concept for the new millennium, with the launch of the first lounge bar, Roco;
- Baa Bar was the first licensed premises to be awarded a 2am drinks and entertainment licence;
- Her breakthroughs achievements have enabled the north-west to move to 21st-century trading; and
- Patron of Liverpool HIV and AIDS charity, Sahir House; director of Manchester Pride.
Marilyn DiCara, director of sales and marketing, Moat…
- Born and raised in Malta, at a time when male and female roles were very specifically defined;
- Joined Moat as a PA, soon after turning 40; today responsible for sales and marketing to first-time buyers;
- Pioneered sales of 5,124 homes through shared ownership, and a passionate champion of the shared ownership model; and
- Since 2007, she has encouraged nine members of her team to study for Chartered Institute of Marketing qualifications.
Heather Jenkins, director of buying, Waitrose…
- Waitrose’s first female section manager responsible for the meat department;
- Instrumental in the Waitrose Cattle Scheme, the first of its kind in the UK;
- Driving force behind the Waitrose Farming Partnership, a long-term commitment to UK farming;
- Heather’s vision is to continue on Waitrose’s unique supplier and farmer/fishermen relationships; and
- “The shorter the supply chain, the better; and transparency is the new way of communicating”.
Harriet Lamb, CEO, Fairtrade International…
- First woman to run the Fairtrade Foundation, overseeing growth of Fairtrade sales from £30m to £1.57bn in the UK;
- Personally spearheaded Marks & Spencer’s conversion of all its coffee-shop coffee to fairtrade;
- Exposed leaders of major UK companies to the challenges faced by producers; and
- Ambition to unlock the power of many, creating a world where Fairtrade was defunct because all trade would be fair.
Melissa Littler, marketing & PR director, BrandAlley UK…
- Founding member of UK’s first “private sales retailer”, with membership base of three million-plus;
- Pioneer of “Facebook commerce”, which accounts for five per cent of revenues;
- The only retailer to host its own garden at Chelsea Flower Show; and
- Melissa played a key role in the 2013 UK MBO of BrandAlley UK.
Share this story