Breaking new groud in bars, entertainment, meat sourcing, meet a group of true pioneers…
Elaine Clark, CEO, BAA Bar…
- Led growth of Baa Bar from single Liverpool site to chain of 11 innovative bars;
- Brought the north-west a concept for the new millennium, with the launch of the first lounge bar, Roco;
- Baa Bar was the first licensed premises to be awarded a 2am drinks and entertainment licence;
- Her breakthroughs achievements have enabled the north-west to move to 21st-century trading; and
- Patron of Liverpool HIV and AIDS charity, Sahir House; director of Manchester Pride.
Marilyn DiCara, director of sales and marketing, Moat…
- Born and raised in Malta, at a time when male and female roles were very specifically defined;
- Joined Moat as a PA, soon after turning 40; today responsible for sales and marketing to first-time buyers;
- Pioneered sales of 5,124 homes through shared ownership, and a passionate champion of the shared ownership model; and
- Since 2007, she has encouraged nine members of her team to study for Chartered Institute of Marketing qualifications.
Heather Jenkins, director of buying, Waitrose…
- Waitrose’s first female section manager responsible for the meat department;
- Instrumental in the Waitrose Cattle Scheme, the first of its kind in the UK;
- Driving force behind the Waitrose Farming Partnership, a long-term commitment to UK farming;
- Heather’s vision is to continue on Waitrose’s unique supplier and farmer/fishermen relationships; and
- “The shorter the supply chain, the better; and transparency is the new way of communicating”.
Harriet Lamb, CEO, Fairtrade International…
- First woman to run the Fairtrade Foundation, overseeing growth of Fairtrade sales from £30m to £1.57bn in the UK;
- Personally spearheaded Marks & Spencer’s conversion of all its coffee-shop coffee to fairtrade;
- Exposed leaders of major UK companies to the challenges faced by producers; and
- Ambition to unlock the power of many, creating a world where Fairtrade was defunct because all trade would be fair.
Melissa Littler, marketing & PR director, BrandAlley UK…
- Founding member of UK’s first “private sales retailer”, with membership base of three million-plus;
- Pioneer of “Facebook commerce”, which accounts for five per cent of revenues;
- The only retailer to host its own garden at Chelsea Flower Show; and
- Melissa played a key role in the 2013 UK MBO of BrandAlley UK.
Why not join us at the 2013 First Women Awards ceremony, in association with Lloyds Banking Group? This special night takes place at the London Marriott Hotel, Grosvenor Square on Wednesday June 12, 2013, and is hosted by the incomparable broadcaster and sports presenter, Clare Balding.
First Women Awards supporters include: the CBI, Accenture, Alexander Charles, benenden health, Centrica, COINS, IMechE (Institute of Mechanical Engineers), ICAEW, Land Rover, Real Business, CfEL (Centre for Entrepreneurial Learning at the University of Cambridge Judge Business School), and the Huffington Post.
Share this story