Location is an increasingly important part of the workplace and was named more desirable than job security by the British workforce.
The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) has found that 33 per cent of office workers want to see upgrades in their workplaces, while 95 per cent of general management staff said that the condition of the property an office is in will determine whether they accept a new job.
Indeed, the appearance of the workplace was valued above progression opportunities, and company a new post can offer. Who cares if theres a metaphorical glass ceiling, when theres a tangible glass ceiling After all, natural light was the number one desirable trait that Brits want from an office.
Read more on workplace expectations:
- The five best and worst companies to work for
- Location: The secret to a happy British workforce or a double-edged sword
- Worried your business is stale Here are 50 things to make it cool
- How changing the internal culture of Airbnb, Pinterest and Uber netted Culture Amp $6.3m
According to the RICS data, 80 per cent of respondents said their workplace impacts whether theyll stay with the company and 88 per cent said it had an impact on job satisfaction.
“With numerous industries currently fighting a war for talent, capable staff and skilled new joiners are like gold-dust for many companies. On that basis, businesses should be doing everything possible to recruit and retain the best people,” Paul Bagust, director of UK Commercial Property at RICS.
Its disappointing, therefore, that many employers seem to be under-estimating or perhaps not realising the power of property in motivating, attracting and keeping staff. A well-constructed, designed and utilised office or workplace can pay huge dividends for the business that inhabits it.
The top ten desirable office traits are:
1. Lots of natural light 63 per cent
2. Good heating / ventilation 62 per cent
3. Regular cleaning 52 per cent
4. Good kitchen facilities 44 per cent
5. Good security 38 per cent
6. A caf /bar/restaurant on site 31 per cent
7. Space to work away from desk 26 per cent
8. A gym on site 15 per cent
9. Good colour scheme 13 per cent
10. High ceilings 13 per cent