Groupon’s preliminary IPO documents reveal some interesting facts about Groupon. Here are the best bits:
- Groupon increased revenues from $3.3m in Q2 2009 to $644.7m in Q1 2011. That’s a 19,436 per cent increase in two years. Wow!
- Last year, Groupon made a net loss of $413m – it still has a way to go before becoming profitable.
- Groupon has a global sales team of 1,500 people.
- While it only had 212 merchants when it first started, Groupon now has over 56,000 merchants on its books today.
- Groupon sold 116,231 Groupon coupons in Q2 2009, compared to 28.1 million Groupon coupons in Q1 2011.
- Since May 2010, Groupon has made 13 acquisitions and has signed partnership agreements with eBay, Microsoft, Yahoo and Zynga among others.
- Groupon increased its subscriber base from 152,203 as of June 2009 to 83.1 million in March 2011. That’s a 54,498 per cent increase. Super wow!
- In Q1 2011, Groupon spent over $208m on marketing. That’s compared to $4m in the Q1 2010.
- Facebook, Google and Microsoft are all “direct competitors”, according to Groupon.
Share this story