Company name: World First UK
What they do: Forex services
The Boss: Jonathan Quin and Nick Robinson
Latest turnover (?,000): 2,962,368
Four-year compound sales growth (%): 57
Latest Ebitda (?,000): 4,483
Foreign exchange broker World First has had another good year, adding £1bn to the company’s turnover to reach nearly £3bn of sales. World First was born in the basement of a house in Brixton, with Jonathan Quin and Nick Robinson former Citibank-ers ? at the helm. Since then, the 150-employee company has won a number of awards, including a Queen’s Award for Enterprise and a special commendation at the 2012 Growing Business Awards.
Jonathan Quin says the business tries to grow a minimum of 26 per cent per year, so that the company doubles in size every three years.
World First has world plans: 17 per cent of turnover comes from international business, but Quin wants to see this rise to 25 per cent. The business is on the verge of being licensed in Singapore and it is working on getting licensed in all 50 American states. It’s a massive amount of work but it’s a huge opportunity,” he says.
- Read the full Hot 100 2013 list
- Read the full Hot 1002013 analysis
- Read the full details of the Hot 100 methodology.
- The Hot 100 2013 is produced in association with Investec, Jordans, Cass Business School and Your Business Your Future.
- The 2013 Hot 100 was announced at the 2013 Investec Entrepreneurs’ Summit, held on June 7, 2013 at the London Corinthia.
- Follow Hot 100 and other Real Business entrepreneurial news on Twitter and #invhot100 #entrepreneurs2013
- Sign up for the Real Business newsletter.