Company name: Sun Mark
What they do: Takes UK consumer brands to far-flung markets
The Boss: Dr Rami Ranger
Latest turnover (£,000): 109,052
Four-year compound sales growth (%): 39
Latest Ebitda (£,000): 7,617
Sun Mark is the only company to ever have been awarded five consecutive Queen’s Awards for Enterprise, and Dr Rami Ranger is rightfully proud. His family business, Sun Mark, which he set up in 1995, is now one of the most successful international distributors of supermarket products, exporting to 110 countries worldwide.
“We go around the world exhibiting and sharing the benefits of our products to potential customers,” explains Ranger. “If the business gets tough, the tough get going. We aim to be global, not local. You don’t have to look hard to see that the emerging markets have growth potential, it’s as simple as that.”
In addition to its own brands – such as Golden Country, Laser and Flower Garden – Sun Mark represents top British and international companies including Unilever, Nestle, Heinz, PepsiCo and Kraft.
“To grow a business, you either have to merge, acquire or build strategic alliances with others. That’s how we do it. In various countries, there is no point in taking on the might of your competitors, so join hands with like-minded companies and share their distribution channels. You can double your strength,” says Ranger.
The key to his success, he says, is his 100 employees, which include his wife, daughter and son-in-law. “The strength of your business is your staff: money doesn’t make money, staff make money. So you need to look after them!”
- Read the full Hot 100 2013 list
- Read the full Hot 1002013 analysis
- Read the full details of the Hot 100 methodology.
- The Hot 100 2013 is produced in association with Investec, Jordans, Cass Business School and Your Business Your Future.
- The 2013 Hot 100 was announced at the 2013 Investec Entrepreneurs’ Summit, held on June 7, 2013 at the London Corinthia.
- Follow Hot 100 and other Real Business entrepreneurial news on Twitter and #invhot100 #entrepreneurs2013
- Sign up for the Real Business newsletter.
Share this story