The basicsCompany name: Wasabi
What they do: Sushi bar takeaway outlets
The Boss: Dong Kim
The financialsLatest turnover (£,000): 32,594
Four-year compound sales growth (%): 38
Latest Ebitda (£,000): 2,565
The detailsWasabi was the first UK business to sell individually-wrapped pieces of sushi when its founder Dong Kim opened his first Wasabi store by Embankment in London in 2003, Britain’s appetite for sushi has continued to grow. In the last four years, Wasabi has seen seen sales grow from £12m to £32.6m last year, with pre-tax profits of £2.6m. Nearly 1,000 employees now serve at 29 sushi and bento outlets dotted around central London. Sushi is freshly prepared every morning and nothing – whether sushi or hot food – is held over until the next day, assuring that all food is at its prime. Itadakimasu!
- Read the full Hot 100 2013 list
- Read the full Hot 1002013 analysis
- Read the full details of the Hot 100 methodology.
- The Hot 100 2013 is produced in association with Investec, Jordans, Cass Business School and Your Business Your Future.
- The 2013 Hot 100 was announced at the 2013 Investec Entrepreneurs’ Summit, held on June 7, 2013 at the London Corinthia.
- Follow Hot 100 and other Real Business entrepreneurial news on Twitter and #invhot100 #entrepreneurs2013
- Sign up for the Real Business newsletter.
Share this story