The basicsCompany name: AH Worth and Company
What they do: Innovative veggie grower
The Boss: Duncan Worth
The financialsLatest turnover (£,000): 148,106
Four-year compound sales growth (%): 38
Latest Ebitda (£,000): 7,428
The detailsThere is an old joke that goes, “How do you make a million at farming? Start with two million and work hard.” Thankfully, for AH Worth and Company, that’s never been further from the truth. AH Worth is a 21st Century farming company with a diverse line of products: prepared and frozen produce, multi-crops, organic and imported produce have helped the business triple sales in the last four years. Turnover is now £148.1m with pre-tax profits of £7.4m. The story did not always look so positive, however. A few years ago, the business lost two of only three supermarket supply contracts in quick succession, leaving the business in dire straits. Quick thinking and a strategic mind helped turn the ship around: today AH Worth supplies to Aldi, Morrisons and Asda plus to food manufacturers and processors. The 708-person company continues to be family-run, with Duncan Worth, a fourth-generation Worth farmer, at the top.
- Read the full Hot 100 2013 list
- Read the full Hot 1002013 analysis
- Read the full details of the Hot 100 methodology.
- The Hot 100 2013 is produced in association with Investec, Jordans, Cass Business School and Your Business Your Future.
- The 2013 Hot 100 was announced at the 2013 Investec Entrepreneurs’ Summit, held on June 7, 2013 at the London Corinthia.
- Follow Hot 100 and other Real Business entrepreneurial news on Twitter and #invhot100 #entrepreneurs2013
- Sign up for the Real Business newsletter.
Share this story