Company name: Holyhead Boatyard
What they do: Family-owned boatbuilding and refitting
The Boss: Mark Meade and family
Latest turnover (?,000): 43,385
Four-year compound sales growth (%): 35
Latest Ebitda (?,000): 17,119
Set up in 1962, HolyHead Boatyard is split into two businesses, Holyhead Marine and Holyhead Towing. The first half of this family-owned business builds and overhauls commercial vessels, including RNLI lifeboats, fishing boats, tugs and MoD vessels; the second charters vessels to construction companies, oil companies and government.
In recent years, a third, lucrative, business has given the company a second wind (pardon the pun): wind turbines. The company operates fast catamarans for the transfer of personnel and equipment between the shore and wind turbines throughout Northern Europe. Sales from this division have nearly doubled in the last year. Ebitda has increased to £17.1m on a £43.4m turnover.
- Read the full Hot 100 2013 list
- Read the full Hot 100 2013 analysis
- Read the full details of the Hot 100 methodology.
- The Hot 100 2013 is produced in association with Investec, Jordans, Cass Business School and Your Business Your Future.
- The 2013 Hot 100 was announced at the 2013 Investec Entrepreneurs’ Summit, held on June 7, 2013 at the London Corinthia.
- Follow Hot 100 and other Real Business entrepreneurial news on Twitter and #invhot100 #entrepreneurs2013
- Sign up for the Real Business newsletter.