Company name: Octopus Capital
What they do: Fund management
The Boss: Simon Rogerson
Latest turnover (?,000): 58,434
Four-year compound sales growth (%): 32
Latest Ebitda (?,000): 6,553
Fund managers Octopus Capital have had a bumper year, growing turnover to £58.4m and doubling pre-tax profit from £3.4m to ?6.6m in just 12 months. Octopus CFO Chris Hulatt says the company has focused on growing its network of more than 3,000 financial advisers: “They are critical to the success of our business, because they drive the interest in our investments.
As one of Britain’s largest Enterprise Investment Scheme providers, Octopus can help customers with tax deferral and relief by investments in SMEs. We re able to meet the underlying needs of the investment public,” he explains. That’s why we re so different to other fund managers who try to offer all of the markets. We look at investment opportunities purely among the UK’s smaller companies.
It’s a model that has been successful for Octopus, which has more than 56,000 clients and £3bn under management. Successful investments include Graze.com, Zoopla and Secret Escapes among others.
?While some might say the economy is in the doldrums, a lot of smaller companies are still doing exciting things. We re right at the heart of funding those companies, which are not served by the very large organisations,” adds Hulatt.
- Read the full Hot 100 2013 list
- Read the full Hot 100 2013 analysis
- Read the full details of the Hot 100 methodology.
- The Hot 100 2013 is produced in association with Investec, Jordans, Cass Business School and Your Business Your Future.
- The 2013 Hot 100 was announced at the 2013 Investec Entrepreneurs’ Summit, held on June 7, 2013 at the London Corinthia.
- Follow Hot 100 and other Real Business entrepreneurial news on Twitter and #invhot100 #entrepreneurs2013
- Sign up for the Real Business newsletter.