The basicsCompany name: Crabco
What they do: Manufacture metal presses
The Boss: Stephen McDowell
The financialsLatest turnover (£,000): 30,976
Four-year compound sales growth (%): 32
Latest Ebitda (£,000): 2,419
The detailsEver wondered how metal Quality Street boxes were decorated? In all likelihood, machines made by Crabtree of Gateshead were involved. Crabree is the leading manufacturer of metal decorating presses and coating machines. From metal tea boxes to aerosols, Crabtree machines are the industry’s workhorse for decorating metal. While the company’s history can be traced to a Yorkshire iron foundry from 1849, the company’s modern guise as a metal decorating equipment maker dates to 1977. Today Crabtree equipment is sold in over 90 countries worldwide. Pre-tax profit is £2.4m on a £31m turnover.
- Read the full Hot 100 2013 list
- Read the full Hot 100 2013 analysis
- Read the full details of the Hot 100 methodology.
- The Hot 100 2013 is produced in association with Investec, Jordans, Cass Business School and Your Business Your Future.
- The 2013 Hot 100 was announced at the 2013 Investec Entrepreneurs’ Summit, held on June 7, 2013 at the London Corinthia.
- Follow Hot 100 and other Real Business entrepreneurial news on Twitter and #invhot100 #entrepreneurs2013
- Sign up for the Real Business newsletter.
Share this story