Company name: Melrob
What they do: Chemical distributor
The Boss: Ian Melluish
Latest turnover (?,000): 45,767
Four-year compound sales growth (%): 31
Latest Ebitda (?,000): 1,168
West Sussex-based Melrob supplies more than 500 manufacturers with chemicals used to make rubber, plastic, adhesives, coatings and resin. In 2007, Melrob launched a Japanese subsidiary to source products for sale into UK markets. Although the company is headquartered in the UK, it has offices in Germany, US, Japan, Singapore and China. International sales form an integral part of the business, generating the majority of sales growth in the company.
The business was founded by Ian Melluish and Marie Roberts in 1995 to service the contact lens and medical device industry sectors, with the focus turning to chemicals distribution in 2003. Sales have doubled in four years to £45.8m, with pre-tax profits of £1.2m.
- Read the full Hot 100 2013 list
- Read the full Hot 100 2013 analysis
- Read the full details of the Hot 100 methodology.
- The Hot 100 2013 is produced in association with Investec, Jordans, Cass Business School and Your Business Your Future.
- The 2013 Hot 100 was announced at the 2013 Investec Entrepreneurs’ Summit, held on June 7, 2013 at the London Corinthia.
- Follow Hot 100 and other Real Business entrepreneurial news on Twitter and #invhot100 #entrepreneurs2013
- Sign up for the Real Business newsletter.