Company name: Argus Media
What they do: Oil and gas business intelligence and publishing
The Boss: Adrian Binks
Latest turnover (?,000): 71,793
Four-year compound sales growth (%): 30
Latest Ebitda (?,000): 24,756
Whether you’re looking for news and analysis or the latest price analysis of global crude, natural gas or electricity, Argus Media is on hand. This business is a top provider of oil and gas business intelligence, and companies, governments and global agencies use Argus information for analysis and planning on a daily basis.
The Russian government, for example, uses Argus as the sole source of price information for setting monthly export duties for Russian crude oil and petroleum products.
More than half of Argus’s team of 500 staff are commodity journalists that specialise in reporting news and price information relating to physical energy and related commodity markets. The company’s chief executive, Adrian Binks, who joined the company in 1984 as editor of one of Argus’s petroleum titles, has successfully steered the company through the choppy waters of publishing to build a very profitable media company. Compound annual growth of 30 per cent over four years means Argus’s turnover stands at ?71.8m, with pre-tax profits of £24.8m.
- Read the full Hot 100 2013 list
- Read the full Hot 100 2013 analysis
- Read the full details of the Hot 100 methodology.
- The Hot 100 2013 is produced in association with Investec, Jordans, Cass Business School and Your Business Your Future.
- The 2013 Hot 100 was announced at the 2013 Investec Entrepreneurs’ Summit, held on June 7, 2013 at the London Corinthia.
- Follow Hot 100 and other Real Business entrepreneurial news on Twitter and #invhot100 #entrepreneurs2013
- Sign up for the Real Business newsletter.