The basicsCompany name: Opus Energy Group
What they do: Business gas and electricity provider
The Boss: Charlie Crossley Cooke
The financialsLatest turnover (?,000): 272,693
Four-year compound sales growth (%): 29
Latest Ebitda (?,000): 18,180
The detailsOpus Energy supplies electricity and gas to 150,000 British businesses including large firms such as Virgin Media and Stagecoach. The business was founded in 2002, and has been growing fast since then. In the last year alone, more than ?75m was added to the company turnover, bringing it to a total of ?272.7m. ?Our key skill has been to stick to what we do well,? says director Louise Boland. ?We offer electricity and gas at competitive prices with top-notch customer service.? Innovation features strongly at the company. For example, Opus was the first energy provider to provide free smart meters to customers. It was also one of the first to include renewable power in its energy mix. ?Innovation is what we?ve become known for, as a supplier,? adds Boland. Opus?s future is green: the company has seen significant growth coming from demand for renewable products, and there are plans to go further. ?Corporate customers want to buy renewable power as not only is it better for the environment but there are significant tax exemptions available. So we are finding ways to provide them with renewable power at no extra net cost.? Compound annual growth is 29 per cent over four years; Ebitda stands at ?18.2m.
- Read the full Hot 100 2013 list
- Read the full Hot 100 2013 analysis
- Read the full details of the Hot 100 methodology.
- The Hot 100 2013 is produced in association with Investec, Jordans, Cass Business School and Your Business Your Future.
- The 2013 Hot 100 was announced at the 2013 Investec Entrepreneurs’ Summit, held on June 7, 2013 at the London Corinthia.
- Follow Hot 100 and other Real Business entrepreneurial news on Twitter and #invhot100 #entrepreneurs2013
- Sign up for the Real Business newsletter.
Share this story