Company name: Phipps & Company
What they do: Holding company
The Boss: Stephen Phipps
Latest turnover (?,000): 123,604
Four-year compound sales growth (%): 29
Latest Ebitda (?,000): 5,010
Phipps & Company is a holding company for a variety of firms owned by the Phipps family. Investments include precious metals recovery firm JBR Recovery, raw materials importer Lawrence Industries, classic motorbike parts distributor Wassell, private medical screening firm Medichecks and Phipps Falklands, a provider of farming services.
The largest of these subsidiary companies is JBR Recovery, which recovers and recycles precious metals from other products. The company incinerates combustible materials that contain traces of silver in controlled conditions to produce an ash in which the silver content has been retailed. This ash is then combined with lead to produce a 50 per cent alloy, which can then be purified through a chemical process until 99.9 per cent silver is made into pure bars.
Overall turnover at the group is £123.6m.
- Read the full Hot 100 2013 list
- Read the full Hot 100 2013 analysis
- Read the full details of the Hot 100 methodology.
- The Hot 100 2013 is produced in association with Investec, Jordans, Cass Business School and Your Business Your Future.
- The 2013 Hot 100 was announced at the 2013 Investec Entrepreneurs’ Summit, held on June 7, 2013 at the London Corinthia.
- Follow Hot 100 and other Real Business entrepreneurial news on Twitter and #invhot100 #entrepreneurs2013
- Sign up for the Real Business newsletter.