Which industry sectors are spawning the most fast-growth companies” Our 2013 Hot 100, created with Investec, reveals continuing strong performances from the IT and financial services sectors: they top the list with, respectively, 16 and 15 companies in the Hot 100.
More surprisingly, perhaps, is the strong performance of the “real” economy: between them, manufacturing, engineering, construction, food and drink account for 32 of the Hot 100. One example is 30th-ranked test equipment business Microlease, run by CEO Nigel Brown (pictured at the 2013 Entrepreneurs’ Summit).
Real Business readers have been responding to this positive news. Georgie Delaney, creative director of The Outdoor Gym Company, says: “if more British companies could use British manufacturers in their supply chains then this would be a double boost to the economy and attract discerning customers from all over the globe who are seeking that “Made in Britain” quality.”
- IT, software and telecoms – 16
- Financial and professional services – 15
- Manufacturing and engineering – 13
- Construction, property and related services – ten
- Food and drink – nine
- Retail and related services – six
- Energy and commodities – six
- Logistics and distribution – five
- Pharmaceuticals, medical and related services – five
- Miscellaneous – five
- Outsourcing and care services – four
- Recruitment – three
- Leisure and travel – three