1. Keywords – choose them and use themIf you’re writing about a car, and you want to come up in car results in search engines, use the word “car” as much as you can. Don’t call it an “automobile” or a “motor vehicle” – you’ll only dilute your keyword density for all three words unless you repeat, repeat, repeat!
2. Be helpful to your readerLink to useful resources, with descriptive link text, and avoid using “click here” for your link. If you link to useful resources, the user will thank you and so will the search engines.
3. On your headline be it!Put your keywords in the headline, title and URL of your page. This helps repetition of the keywords and also makes it very clear to search engines and to your users what your content is about. Avoid using ambiguous headlines, titles and URLs, and try to keep jokes and puns out, they don’t make the most optimised headlines.
4. Search engines read like you do tooMost search engines will read from left to right, so try to get your keywords in your headlines, page titles and URLs as soon as possible. Remember that lots of words that don’t clearly explain your content’s subject matter will only dilute your keyword density.
5. Don’t cheatIf you’re writing the best content and making it plain for search engines to see, you should begin to see traffic increase quite soon. However, don’t undo all your good work by putting lots of unrelated content inside of yours. Not only will search engines pick up on this and punish you for it, but you’ll also lose the trust of your users and readers. In the interconnected, high-speed, mobile-information world we live in, your reputation can be damaged a lot faster than ever before.
6. No one ever got famous by keeping quietOnce you’ve written your amazing articles, remember to shout about it EVERYWHERE. Post it on Twitter and Facebook, Digg it, and big it up in any related forums. Search engines love pages that have lots of reciprocal links from other related, respected and high-traffic websites, so build those networks and links.
Share this story