Figures from the Federation of Small Businesses show that 20 per cent of companies said they had been negatively affected by flooding in the past year.The National Flood Forum, a charity which helps people and businesses affected by floods, has produced the following tips to help companies deal with the potentially devastating impact of a flood:
- Sign up for flood alerts. These will let you know if your business is in an area that is at risk of flooding. You can find out more and sign up here;
- You can also call Floodline on 0845 988 1188 to listen to recorded flood warning information for your area or speak to an operator for advice 24 hours a day;
- Make sure you have contingency plans in place so that your business can still operate as successfully as possible in the event of a flood. Around 50 per cent of managers reported that severe weather in 2012 caused disruption to their organisation last year and nearly two-thirds of UK businesses suffered supply chain problems because of the extreme conditions;
- Make sure all your staff are aware of your flood plans and their importance to the business. Every ?1 spent on preventing flooding saves ?8 in repairing damage; and
- Keep any stock which is on your business premises above floor level. This will minimise the risk of any losses or the effects of flooding.
Share this story