Blogging is great ? as I wrote in my previous article ? but it can easily go wrong, so here are some of the more important dos and don?ts that you need to be aware of before you start!
- Use your own voice, but make sure it?s in line with your brand
- Be open and honest ? show your personality
- Create your own content
- Vary what you post: switch between videos, images, and prose
- Be conversational: you want to talk to your clients, not talk at them!
- Spread the word about your blog: link to it on your social network sites, and make sure it?s in an obvious place on your website
- Get involved with the blogging community: comment on other blogs, find similar people to you, invite people to write for you
- Update regularly and routinely: make a schedule and stick to it
- Link to other useful sites: be a useful resource for your readers
- Be a source of help: offer information and practical advice
- Write for other blogs, and get people from other blogs to write for you: spread your authorship and authority
- Have a variety of writers: use your director, sales manager, sales assistants, allowing readers to get a feel for the entire business, not just the top end!
- Promote your business all the time! This isn?t the place, and it?ll quickly switch readers off
- Hire a copywriter who a) doesn?t understand your tone and style, and b) couldn?t care less about what you stand for
- Regurgitate content posted on other sites
- Write badly: if you?re not a natural writer, there are plenty of sites that can help you
- Forget about your audience/customers: don?t write for yourself, think about what will interest people
- Lose direction or focus ? it?s good to have a variety of posts, but readers should know what to expect. Pick a subject and stick to it!
- Forget about style and design: try to create your own theme, instead of relying on the most popular designs. Make it look like yours, and in line with your website?s design
- Be salesy! People try and directly sell their products, but it doesn?t work. This isn?t the place
- Just publish: it?s vital to proofread, re-read, edit!
- Outspokenly insult people or businesses: you must be careful! Not only is it unprofessional, but it could also be libel. If you?re not sure about something, don?t post it
- Alienate yourself: unless you run a political or religious business, stay away from these subjects, and other controversial topics. Use your own personal blog for that.
Share this story