Sherry Coutu knows all about investing. Her portfolio includes LinkedIn, LoveFilm, Interactive Investors, ArtFinder, Seedcamp, NESTA and many more. She shares her ten tips on finding the best angel investor for your business.
- Choose angels/mentors who have an amazing network of contacts in your industry.
- Choose an individual rather than a “firm”. Personal track-record and value add are critical.
- Choose an angel/investor AFTER talking to their other investee companies first. (check out Thefunded.com)
- Choose an angel investor who has gone down the path you need to go down (be it raising money or floating).
- Choose an angel investor/mentor who has RUN a company to chair your board.
- Do not choose an investor who has restrictions which prevent them from investing more in your company.
- Choose to listen to your investor, and make sure they have time available for you.
- Choose to communicate with your investor(s). It’s amazing what you can find out!
- Know that great angels and investors help you with three sets of things: talent, customers and strategy.
- Do not try to delegate the process to someone else!
These tips were first published on Silicon Roundabout, a blog for media agencies and digital firms in East London.