Woe is me! Having had an fully enthusiastic email back from my job offeree late yesterday, I swayed back and decided that my doubts were not founded and this was great news – we had indeed reached an agreement and were all set so I could offer the other job to the candidate whom I knew would be a good balance… which I duly did.
Candidate one had promised to respond to me last night if I had confirmed the offer. Candidate two had been chasing me for an answer for a week or so because they soooo wanted the job. Low and behold, get in this morning, left hand sleepless and needing sending home, right hand still suffering from doom and gloom because his leaving plans aren’t running smoothly and bringing too much of this personal cloud into work. No promised e-mail from candidate one so no idea what is going on there.
By lunch things had cheered up further by the news that candidate two had been offered much more money nearer to their home (during the time candidate one dithered). Sent somewhat acidic email to candidate one about lack of communication – if it puts them off, that’s tough. Never appreciate people who don’t do what they say. Give up on day and decide better off going home early and starting afresh tomorrow.