The headline stat that Evan Williams, Twitter’s co-founder and CEO, revealed was Twitter’s number of registered users – a figure that Twitter has previously never publicly released.
So, without further ado, here are six secret Twitter stats that you will not have read before:
- 105,779,710 registered users
- 60 per cent of those are from outside the US
- 180m unique monthly visitors
- 75 per cent of all Twitter traffic comes from outside of Twitter.com (third-party apps)
- 3bn requests per day to Twitter’s API
- 19bn searches per month
The numbers are pretty phenomenal, making Twitter one of the largest social networks in existence – although some commentators argue that Twitter isn’t really a social network: it’s instead turning into an effective, reliable communication tool.
But still, it puts it on comparable terms with the seemingly unstoppable Facebook, which has over 450m users. And Twitter isn’t stopping its growth either, adding about 300,000 new users every day.
So, impressed yet?