Who are Europe's most active technology venture capital firms?
2 min read
03 March 2015
Which tech VCs should you be looking out for this year? Here are the most active early-stage investors of 2014.
The venture capital firm that invested the most in European tech companies in 2014 was Germany’s seed investor High-Tech Gruenderfonds, according to new research published by CB Insights.
High-Tech Gruenderfonds, headquartered in Bonn, invested in a slew of seed rounds as well as several `series A and series B financings, including a $17.8m Series B investment in Outfittery.
Berlin-based Outfittery uses personal stylists to make it easier for men to shop for clothes, similar to the American Trunk Club, which was acquired by retailer Nordstrom for $350m in August last year.
Read more about Europe’s top VCs:
- What’s the best way to approach a VC?
- The biggest VC-backed acquisitions of 2014
- Tech companies attracting record levels of venture capital funding
Index Ventures was the second most-active VC firm in European tech in 2014.
Index invested across multiple countries, including France, Germany, UK, Sweden, and Netherlands. The largest round they participated in was BlaBlaCar’s $100m Series C financing, followed by Funding Circle’s $65m Series D.
Accel Partners rounded out the top three, also investing in BlaBlaCar’s Series C, as well as UK-based Alfresco Software’s $45m growth equity financing and WorldRemit’s $40m Series A. WorldRemit is part of a growing wave of startups disrupting companies such as Western Union and Moneygram.
Here is the full list of the most-active European Tech VCs in 2014, as published by CB Insights:
1. High-Tech Gruenderfonds (Bonn, Germany)
2. Index Ventures (London, UK)
3. Accel Partners (London, UK)
4. German Startups Group (Berlin, Germany)
5. Octopus Ventures (London, UK)
5. Balderton Capital (London, UK)
7. Northzone Ventures (Stockholm, Sweden)
7. Creandum (Stockholm, Sweden)
9. Sunstone Capital (Copenhagen, Denmark)
10. Notion Capital (London, UK)
10. Alven Capital (Paris, France)
10. Kima Ventures (Paris, France)
13. Point Nine Capital (Berlin, Germany)
13. DN Capital (London, UK)
13. Earlybird Venture Capital (Berlin, Germany)
16. Partech Ventures (Paris, France)
17. LVenture (Rome, Italy)
17. Caixa Capital Risc (Barcelona, Spain)
17. Beringea (London, UK)
17. Holtzbrinck Ventures (Munich, Germany)