(4) What has business leadership taught you about money management? The responsibility of managing big investments and being answerable to a board of directors is something I don’t take lightly. It’s all about calculating and sometimes the risk is worth taking and becomes very profitable. But you have to know the risk before taking the plunge. (5) Tell us about your smartest investments? I have enjoyed particular success in the US where I am a director of Customers Bank in Pennsylvania and the Atlantic Coast Financial Corporation in Florida. I made the investments because I could see an opportunity in the way American banking was changing. Customers, for instance, is aimed at millennials – we are pioneers of cutting-edge virtual banking. An investment I made into Villa Azur Restaurant in Miami has also been a great personal success as the place has become so popular and enjoyed longevity in an ultra-competitive market place. (6) Do you get more satisfaction from spending or saving your money? Without one you can’t have the other. So saving for something hard makes the satisfaction of the purchase all the greater.
Read more on living the Business Class lifestyle:
- £3.5m spent on private jets during Premier League summer transfer window
- Is a $3,000 cruise on world’s most technologically advanced river ship right for you?
- Refined Garmin smartwatches for adventurers and athletes priced at £1,000 each
(8) What are your most expensive hobbies? I have always loved sport, so skiing and car racing are two hobbies I have always kept up as a release from the business world. I love being outdoors and enjoy exhilarating sports. I have also owned and ridden horses since childhood and played polo. Horses are expensive animals to maintain, but give back so much pleasure. (9) Most prized possession? As a graduation gift, I received an original work of art from the well-known Indian artist, M.F Hussain, a dear family friend. He has since died so I cherish it more than money. Although it has a significant monetary value, I would never dream of selling it. (10) Do you have a favourite luxury brand? I always have to namecheck Apple as it is the zeitgeist of the modern era and bridges the gap between affordable and luxury. Apple became a luxury brand when they invented the Apple Watch. I like Berlutti for Italian tailoring and handmade leather, I like the tradition of what is behind a brand such as that. I also like Dolce and Gabbana. (11) Where has been your most luxurious holiday taken you? I am lucky to have vested interests in some beautiful hotels, such as the award-winning Shanti Maurice in Mauritius and Ananda in the Himalayas. I feel privileged to be able to go there – all the staff know my family and take great care of us. (12) Excluding property, what has been your most expensive purchase? It has to be the engagement ring I bought for my wife, which was a heart-shaped diamond. I was young then so it seemed like a big purchase – but the outcome was very positive! By Zen Terrelonge
If you now fancy jetting off somewhere as appealing as Mauritius, you should find some inspiration from the most popular destinations for luxury adventures and the activities of choice.
Share this story